Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Xzander's Birth

Here is the story of the birth of Xzander Richard Bennett.  I had my membranes stripped on March 4, hoping that would speed things a long and sure enough it did.  I didn't get any sleep that night because I was having strong contractions frequently.  Finally, morning came and if I was laying down, my contractions were ten minutes apart.  When I was up and about, they were three minutes apart.  I was indecisive whether or not to go to the hospital because I did not want to be sent home.  I kept waiting, Devan was anxious to go to the hospital, I think to see if this really was the real thing.

Finally at 7:00 am, we ventured off to the hospital.  I did preregister, but they had all of my information wrong.  Completely wrong.  Finally, we went to the labor and delivery room.  The nurse checked my cervix and she said I was between a five and six.  For those who don't know, my desire was to go natural  (I wanted to go natural with Geric, too but the nurse didn't know)  Devan made sure that before I was in too much pain, I voiced my desires in front of the nurse.  I did ask for the epidural quite a few times, but both of them kept telling me it was too late.  The nurse later said she felt bad for tricking me.  It didn't sink in until later what had happened.  Once my cervix was completely dilated, and being able to push, the contractions didn't hurt so bad.  Once the baby started crowning, the nurse told me not to push because we had to wait for the doctor.  I cannot tell you how hard that was and how perturbed I was.  I said, "But it hurts!"  She then said, "Okay, you can push a little but you have to stop when I say."  That was even harder.  When it hurts when you are not pushing, vs not hurting because you are pushing, I rather push.  I also remember saying, "He's never gonna come out!"  He did at 11:21 am (I think) weighing 7 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches long.  I tore a little in the back, I think they said it was a one to two tear, the stitching didn't feel very good either.  I also tore in the front, but it was too little to stitch.

                                          First time holding Xzander

                                           Proud Daddy!!


So, they took Xzander to the nursery to get him cleaned up and all the tests and stuff they do.  Unfortunately, we did not get pics of his first bath at the hospital.  Devan went down with him.  In the mean time, my uterus would not clamp shut and I continued to bleed.  The nurse had to keep pushing on my stomach, boy did that hurt.  She kept having to get the charge nurse because she couldn't figure out what was causing the bleeding.  Finally, they had to get a doctor in.  Dr. Cowan, who delivered Xzander was off for the day, the on call doctor was in surgery if I remember right, so they had to get a different doctor.  He came in and he and a nurse or two started pushing on my stomach while the doctor was reaching up and "evacuating"  three huge blood clots, Devan can give more info on the size of the blood clots, he saw them.  Now, remember the tears, plus how sore the uterus still is.  This was by far worse then the actual labor and delivery.  I rather go through labor and delivery again vs the other.  I was crying big time because it hurt so much.  I don't remember crying through the other.  Because I was in so much pain, they gave me, I think it was some sort of anesthesia that knocked me out.  It was weird.  I still could hear everything going on around me, but I couldn't respond to anything.  I felt like I was out of the delivery room but I could see in to it.  The walls were not yellow, but it seemed the walls around me were yellow and Devan was sitting in a chair that was right against the yellow wall. and the delivery room was just past that and I could see into it.  Although I was in the delivery room.  Anyway, after a while, and don't ask me how long, cause I couldn't tell you, I felt like I was shaking on the inside and gradually, it moved from the inside to out and then my whole body was shaking.  This is the part that scared Devan.  He had to get the nurse, she came in, then went out, and came back with like six people, Devan said.  I could hear them, but I couldn't respond except with a squeeze of my hand to Devan.  It took a few minutes for me to come out of that.

You know how you are normally only in the delivery room for up to two hours after delivery?  Well, they weren't ready to let me go until 8:00 pm and by that time, a room wasn't available until 11:30 pm.  They were waiting to see if I needed a blood transfusion.  They finally decided I didn't need one then and I got to go to a room.  Boy, the bed was so much more comfortable then the labor and delivery bed.  I can't remember if it was Saturday night or Sunday night, that they gave me blood, but they did end up giving me two units of blood.  I felt so much better afterwards.  I felt like I could finally take care of my little one without having to call the nurse for help.  I was too dizzy before hand and didn't want to risk dropping Xzander so I called the nurse to hand him to me.  I didn't get to leave the hospital until Monday afternoon.

                                           Isn't he cute?


Proud Siblings

Devan is such a proud big brother.  He was really anxious and excited for our new arrival, especially because we have another boy!!!  Takes after his daddy!! LOL

David enjoying his new baby brother.

Ruby excited to help Mommy with Xzander!



I was really worried about Geric being jealous of his new baby brother, but as you can see, he too, is a pround big brother.  He could not get enough of holding his baby brother.  He did not want anything to do with me at the hospital, he was all about Xzander.  I am just thrilled how excited he was.





Extremely exhausted Daddy, taking care of five kids and not re-cooperated from no sleep the night before we went to the hospital.  He did a great job.  Thanks honey and love you tonz.


Finally getting ready to go home,  YEAH!!!!
  "Mommy, hurry and get ready so we can go!!!!"      
This was the only way Geric would let me hold him, holding him, holding the baby.

2 comments:

J & L Bennett Family said...

Such cute pictures. I miss all of you. It's been a long time in coming since I anticipated you blogging on Monday. Love you!

DH Bennett said...

I know, sorry about the delay.